Stats are about creating a conversation with a player. This is what coaching is

Level 4
    Modern golfers want more and more technical information about their golf, and they also want more from their stats. As a coach who takes great interest in statistics and data, I ask all my elite players to keep track of their numbers in some form or another. Recently, I was asked: “Why is data so important?”

For me, this is an easy answer: as a coach, data gives me a much clearer insight into a player’s game, both strengths and weaknesses. That much is obvious. But there is a lot more to it than just looking and picking out numbers that are good and bad.

Statistics and data don’t tell you the whole story, only some of it. The gold within the analysis is not the data itself but the conversations that come from it! There are often more questions than answers and this is where my role as a coach really adds value to helping those players lower their scores.

Name:  Tom Motley.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  81.1 KB
    Tom at work with his players on the range

So, what can we learn from a statistical analysis? The short answer is loads! On a basic level, this is the “what” in terms of what’s happening on course. The “why” is less clear and this is where the valuable conversations begin with players.

I want to know their thoughts, their beliefs and their level of understanding of why they are underperforming in certain areas of the game. From there we can gain understanding and set a plan, action that plan and improve.

In the past, one thing I’ve repeatedly found is that some players simply don’t value certain aspects of their games as highly as other aspects. Frequently, it is these areas that are underperforming and causing higher scores.

Of course, at times there are anomalies and freak stats that don’t make sense, but dig a little deeper and you will often find more answers than you’d think.

A great example is one I’ve seen a few times: a player’s putting stats have gaps in performance – good from 3 feet, 6 feet and 9 feet and yet poor statistically between those distances (4-5 feet, 7-8 feet, for example). After investigating and discussing this with the players, we find most are practicing most of their clutch putting distances at yep, guess what, 3ft 6ft and 9ft.

So, for me statistical analysis is about the ability to create conversations around the vital points to improve. It’s also about being able to understand the player’s game in its entirety.

The coach-player relationship is vital for progression. In developing high-performance players, I’ve learned that the smallest change in specific areas can sometimes produce the biggest gains in performance.

I’m therefore a huge believer in players keeping statistics. Data allows the player to get on with their job of practice and performance while I, as the coach, can direct them to key areas that will ultimately lower scores, increase their confidence in the data and, in turn, earn more on whichever tour they’re playing on.

Last edited by Josh; 15-02-22 at 17:34.
  • 1 Reply

Community Manager
    Hi @motleygolf! Thank you for sharing your thoughts, much appreciated and some really interesting points you've raised. The example you give RE putting is certainly one I can relate to! Have you found that when the player realises the gapping in practice due to the data, they do alter their drills accordingly and as a result improve??