Does the coaching community realise how important we are in the health of the game?

Level 5
    I made the following statement recently in an interview:

“I think it’s crucial that the world understands how important golf coaches are, but the people who really need to know how important golf coaches are, are golf coaches! I think many don’t know just how important their role is to the game." -

Do you agree?

As a community we are the most important stakeholders in the game, we introduce people to the game, provide safe, social enjoyable environments for players, we better players and we make golf more enjoyable as a result. My concern is there is no one acting as cheerleaders for what we do and how crucial we are.
  • 4 Replies

Level 3
    I agree completely Hugh. Coaches are the most important stakeholder in the game. Quite often the time a student spends with their Coach is the highlight of their week. Ian James and Retail Tribe have been promoting the value of Coaches for a while but it would be nice if more of the recognized bodies would get on board with this message. As Coaches we must also take some responsibility. As a group we could also do a better job of promoting our value.
    Level 5
    @derekhoopergolf amen to all of your points Derek, it’s time to take responsibility being the key!
    Level 4
    @hugh.marr Hi Hugh long time no speak.

I completely agree and it is often lost how important our roles are when it comes to growing the game and making it more accessible to every demographic.

I also think there is 1000's of people wanting to give golf a go but fear in person coaching in their initial few months. they end up going to ranges to just to try it out, decide its fsr too hard and we lose them before we had chance to help. I some times question just how many we lose from taking it up by not have more home learning programs for novice gofers to at least get some level of instruction to gain a small level of understanding, competence of basics structure and movements to get them on the right path from day dot.

I've probably not explained this too well but hopefully you get my drift
    Level 5
    @motleygolf You’ve explained it perfectly Tom. I think you’re suggesting that golf coaches (the community that is responsible for growing the game….) are in some instances driving people away from it!! You’re right. They are. I’m hoping this concerns many more people than just you and I!