Clippd Tips: How do I compare with players of different ability?

View Tag Cloud
    Community Manager
    Hi everyone,

Here's our guide on how you can choose to compare yourself with golfers of different skill levels.

It's important to remember that Player Quality and Shot Quality are still benchmarked to the male tour average of 100. Comparisons allow you to see the Shot Quality and Player Quality scores expected by players of different ability.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clippd-golf-comparisons-1_optimized.png 
Views:	2667 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	1142

Name:	clippd-golf-comparisons-2_optimized.png 
Views:	2597 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	1143

What is Player Quality and Shot Quality?
    How do I choose yards or metres?
    What is What To Work On?
    Last edited by Josh; 07-09-23 at 10:08.
    Clippd's Community Manager
  • 6 Replies

Level 3
    Im still not sure I understand what this does or means. I’m currently a 10 index, so I set my comparison to male 5 index. What does this change?
    I’m still don’t appreciate what shot qualities of 70, 80, and 90 really mean.
    Community Manager
    Hi @colinbdaly

These comparisons have been released so users have context between Player Quality and handicap. It shows users what certain levels of handicap typically are for Player Quality allowing them to have targets. Eg, you can now see the average player quality for a 10 handicap male golfer.

Users could set the comparison to a higher standard than they currently are or the same standard to make sure they’re on track.

The benchmark of Shot Quality and Player Quality is still 100 (male tour player) but these comparisons will help provide extra context to that benchmark.
    Level 3
    @Josh thanks the reply Josh. I’m still confused.

It shows users what certain levels of handicap typically are for Player Quality allowing them to have targets.

I don’t know what you mean here. In settings I changed performance average comparison to “5 handicap”. I don’t see where this change manifests itself anywhere in clippd. All my activities still show shot quality of a number based on 100 being tour pro. Where did changing perf avg comp setting take affect? I can’t tell I changed anything.
    Community Manager
    @colinbdaly

Apologies, you’ll see the new comparisons wherever you previously saw your averages. As long as you’ve changed it in Display Preferences and then hit save. For example, here’s my comparison for OTT.

Name:  IMG_2315.jpg
Views: 3051
Size:  155.6 KB
    Level 3
    Ah okay, I got it. Thanks!

Looks like player quality is just the average of OTT, APP, ARG, and PUTT. I compiled the numbers from the comparison page and got this:

Name:	Screenshot2023-09-10at9.58.52PM.png 
Views:	2487 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	1175

But that's a little different than this page:
    As a guide, a golfer playing off a plus-handicap is likely to have a Player Quality in the low 90s. A scratch player will be high-80s, while a 10-handicapper will be mid to high-70s.
    Have the numbers changed over time or am I looking at this wrong?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Community Manager
    @colinbdaly

Player Quality isn’t an exact average of OTT, APP, ARG and PUTT but it will move closer to being an average.

The numbers have changed over time as we have analysed increased volumes of shot data and developed the algorithms to be ever more accurate. We will continue striving to ensure the comparisons remain accurate. We have updated the pages on the website and the Clippd Community and will also update the guidance in the platform. Thank you for pointing this out!