From the Home of Golf to Clippd

Level 3
    John Boykin USPGA, Clippd Senior PGA Professional and a life member of the PGA of America, shares some highlights from his recent trip to the UK.

In these ever changing times we are constantly introduced to the “new normal”, which includes the nuances of international travel. A mask required here, not required there; proper documentation prepared yet never used. You get the drift.

These were the challenges I enjoyed when returning to my second home, St Andrews, on May 1 for a welcomed week of golf, visiting with old friends and adding to my more than 42 years of cherished memories and experiences at the Home of Golf. The signs of the soon to be contested 150th playing of The Open Championship were evident. Most of the bleachers and corporate marquees have been constructed and my morning view from the Rusacks Hotel along the 18th included the stands to the right of the first tee. Among the normal grey seats are strategically placed white seats clearly stating, “The 150th Open". It will most certainly be quite the spectacle and, hopefully, as exciting an Open we can hope for.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Swinley.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	232.5 KB 
ID:	627
    Left: with Clippd co-founder Ed Crossman on the 10th tee Sunningdale Old. Right: Senior Commercial Director Marcus Turner and me, 1st tee at Swinley.

Following rounds at Crail, Dumbarnie, Kingsbarns and The Jubilee, and dining experiences that featured evening views unmatched in the world of golf, it was time to fly south for the more significant segment of my trip, visiting Clippd’s new global headquarters in the heart of London.

Upon arrival I had the privilege of participating in the Monday morning “stand-up”, a new term to me. This is the weekly kick-off meeting of the entire Clippd team in multiple countries. The opportunity to speak to this remarkable group of people – data-scientists, programmers, developers, designers, sales and marketing staff, as well as the co-founders – was nothing short of amazing. It brought to life the thousands of hours put in by this dedicated team of professionals and visionaries to create and deliver the technology platform we know as Clippd.

The stand-up was followed by sessions with various team members to further embolden my knowledge of the many, some new, features of Clippd and enable me to share the true value of the platform with my fellow PGA members across the US. As I now reflect upon my time in the Clippd offices, my eyes were opened to how really significant a game changer Clippd is and the impact it will have across the globe. It will make instructors and coaches more informed, improve their efficiency, increase their understanding of their students’ games and increase earning potential. All stated goals of the Clippd mission.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Woburn.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	240.6 KB 
ID:	628
    Left: with Clippd's Charlie Quick (left) and Elliot Ebert (right) at St. George's Hill Right: Dave Billingham (Chief Product Officer) and Matt Miller (Head of Design) at Woburn.

Oh, and while in London I got to play four of the top golf courses in the world. I played rounds at St George’s Hill Golf Club (top 100 in the world), Woburn Golf Club (Ian Poulter’s home club), Sunningdale Golf Club’s Old Course, site of multiple noted championships, and Swinley Forest Golf Club, which has long been on my bucket list and what I would describe as the Augusta National of England.

My thanks to Charlie, Matt, Ed and Marcus for hosting me for those four memorable rounds. Your generous hospitality is much appreciated. It should be noted that in addition to being incredibly smart, Clippd has some really good players and the entire group has a genuine love of the game. A prescription for success in the game and business of golf.
    @Elliot, @Ed, @Charlie, @Marcus , @Dave, @Matt
    Last edited by Josh; 17-06-22 at 20:26.
  • 1 Reply

Community Manager
    @boykinjw - Was great to have you over here John. Thank you for the tips on my game as well!
    Last edited by Josh; 23-05-22 at 13:34.