My 3 most memorable Masters moments

Level 3
    Sorry its a late reply chaps,

My 3 memorable masters moments-

2010- Phil Mickleson pine straw. Also said above but just the sheer commitment and crowed pleasing attitude will make me never forget it

2012- As described above, Bubba Watsons wedge, absolutely ridiculous. Not far from impossible for 99% of the golfing population but you just knew bubba was going to pull something off. One of my favourite golfers to watch "play" golf

2013- Angel Cabrera. Trying to win his 2nd Masters at the age of 43. With his son on the bag, flushing his 2nd shot into the last, walking after it whilst shouting at it leading to a 3ft birdie to get into the play-off with Adam Scott ( unfortunately losing in the end) . My dad often used to compare me and cabrera, long swing, over weight and walk slumped over with my feet pointing out 😂😂🙈
    Head of Community & Content
    Can see the Cabrera comparison. Long, low and able to shape it
    Dan Davies
    Clippd
    Level 3
    I have been very fortunate to have attended 20 of the last 23 Masters! It is hard to decide on just three favorite memories!

Like Dan my favorite memory would be Jack's win in 1986. I was a college freshman and my teammates and I on the golf team had played golf in the morning and were all watching transfixed to the TV at the golf course following our round. I watched that final round on VHS tape many times until the tape wore out!

My second favorite would be getting to watch my great friend Mike McCoy play in the 2014 Masters. Mike qualified by winner the 2013 US Mid-Amateur. Mike's son Nate caddied for him. They are great family friends and it was a thrill to get to watch him achieve a life long dream/goal.

Bill Rogers, the 1981 Open Champion, stays at the house that I do during Masters week. Bill has become a great friend and I have had the privilege of having lunch with him a number of times in the clubhouse. It is always a who's who in the world of golf and is a surreal experience. We have had lunch several times with David Graham. David is a great story teller and has done so many fascinating things in the world of golf beyond being a major champion. These include building Jack Nicklaus's clubs for many years and being in charge of setting the pin placements for over 20 years at the Masters!

Looking forward to getting back to the tournament after not being about to go the last two years!
    @chrisfoleygolf These are fantastic, thank you Chris. The clubhouse at Augusta National during Masters week must be an incredible meeting place for the golfing world, and being able to sit down for lunch and hear some of the stories – not least David Graham's thinking on pin placements – must be fascinating. And as for seeing one of your close friends play in The Masters Tournament, that must have been very special indeed. Have a great time there this year and we look forward to hearing more stories when you return!
    Community Manager
    @chrisfoleygolf Building Jack Nicklaus's clubs AND being responsible for pin placements at Augusta. Some serious responsibility there!

Brilliant selection of memories though Chris, thank you for sharing!
    Level 3
    In 1961 at the age of 9, having never hit a golf shot nor been on a golf course, I attended my first Masters. Being an all sports kid, playing youth football, basketball and my favorite, baseball, I was the guest of the parents of one of my baseball teammates. Our families lived in Savannah, Georgia, a two hour drive south of Augusta. His father was an annual member of the Masters Tournament operations team. We stayed in a private home off Berkman Road, which is no longer there as all of that area was acquired by Augusta National and is now used as patron parking. Rest assured, I neither knew the significance of the event nor the privilege of having an all-access badge. It was spring break week from school and the tournament ended on Easter Sunday, which I would learn was a usual occurrence. Years later I learned there is an old joke, after the Tournament dates were changed, it became a conflict between two major religious events so they moved Easter. That initial year in 1961 began a string of my attending the Masters for 51 consecutive years. Wish I had saved the badges from all, who knew?

What made 1962 so memorable was the meeting that, although I didn't know it until many years later, would foretell my life and career. Early that week, again hosted by my baseball teammate and still having no interest in golf, his father needed to deliver some documents to the Jones Cabin, to the co-founder of the Augusta National Golf Club and the Masters, Robert Tyre Jones, JR – Bobby Jones, and we were invited to go. While I often can't remember some things that happened last week, that day I will never forget. I had been advised to be quiet and respectful in the presence of this very important man. Mr. Jones was in a wheelchair, something I had not seen, but was very kind and seemed happy to see us. He asked me about my golf game, did I enjoy golf? I quickly shared that I didn't play golf, I was a baseball player. Mr. Jones assured me that I would play golf, a lot of golf and be a big part of my life. So here we are in 2022, elected to PGA of America membership in 1979 and a rewarding career in the game and business of golf that has given me so many blessings. How did he know?

When I did take my first golf swing in the winter of 1967, the Masters Tournament quickly took on new meaning. That spring I declined my host's annual invitation and several of my friends and I attended the tournament. I had learned about the big names in game and their history. One of my golfing classmates wanted to follow this fellow, Ben Hogan. That led to one of my most memorable Masters moments. On Saturday in 1967, Ben Hogan played what many have said is a magnificent round, playing the front nine in even par 36. Mr. Hogan, at the age of 55, came home with a 6 under par of 30 for a total of 66. We walked all 18 holes and the precision he displayed on that last nine holes I have come to greatly appreciate. Little did we know that would be the final year Mr. Hogan played the Masters. He posted a final round 77 and finished in a tie for tenth. It was years later that many of my mentors would mention that Saturday round by Ben Hogan with sincere reverence.

Lastly, while everyone that attended the 1986 Maters and witnessed Jack Nicklaus’s magnificent victory, has their unique stories, I choose to share mine. By this time, my career in golf having taken many twists and turns, I was serving at this Masters as the on-air radio voice for a 9-city network of stations, providing morning and afternoon “drive-time” shows about the tournament. While I was preparing for our Sunday afternoon show, it was becoming evident that Jack was about to do the unthinkable. I left the media center and wandered down to the 15th fairway. As Jack reached the green and prepared to attempt his eagle putt, the quiet was not unexpected. The roars when he holed the putt were the loudest I had ever heard at Augusta National. The ground shaking was not something I had ever felt. By the time I made it back to clubhouse, Jack had reached 17 green and when the “yes sir” putt went in the accompanied roars coupled with the ground shaking were measurable. I asked other older and more experienced media members, if they felt the tremors and had that ever happened? The answers were a unanimous yes and no.

In a couple of weeks’ time someone will don a green jacket. Will it be one of the many great young phenoms or a player with the prerequisite experience around Augusta National that we call the 2022 Masters winner? One thing is certain, we will all have new stories and memorable moments from the greatest week in golf.

John W Boykin, PGA
    @boykinjw It's going to be very hard for anyone to match these John! Meeting Bobby Jones, watching Ben Hogan compile one of the great rounds in the history of the tournament, and witnessing Jack Nicklaus make history with his back-nine charge to win a sixth Green Jacket... it must have been very, very hard to pick these memories from all those you've had over half a century and more at the Masters. Thank you for sharing! 👏👏👏
    Level 3
    Here we go then...Better late than never! Whilst my second choice is by no means a happy Masters moment, these are the three events that immediately come to mind when I think back to the many Masters Sundays I have spent glued to the TV.

1. 2005 - Tiger's chip on 16 is my earliest memory of the Masters. This moment needs no description, nor justification. It's just genius.
    2. 2011 - Rory's meltdown in 2011 is not a happy Masters moment, but it sure is memorable. This year's Masters needs a storyline, and I'd love it to be Rory's redemption.
    3. 2019 - Tiger's comeback win in 2019 is my favourite Masters moment, and it will take some beating.
    Last edited by Josh; 19-04-22 at 15:14.
    Community Manager
    Here we go then...Better late than never I guess! Whilst my second choice is by no means a happy Masters moment, these are the three events that immediately come to mind when I think back to the many Masters Sundays I have spent glued to the TV.

1. 2005 - Tiger's chip on 16 is my earliest memory of the Masters. This moment needs no description, nor justification. It's just genius.
    2. 2011 - Rory's meltdown in 2011 is not a happy Masters moment, but it sure is memorable. This year's Masters needs a storyline, and I'd love it to be Rory's redemption.
    3. 2019 - Tiger's comeback win in 2019 is my favourite Masters moment, and it will take some beating.

Charlie, I'm with you on Rory completing the career grand slam. I think it would make for such a brilliant Sunday if he's up there and able to get the job done!
    @Josh @Charlie There are certain predictive models that are stating that this is Rory's year. We shall see...