My 3 most memorable Masters moments

Head of Community & Content
    The clock is ticking down to Thursday April 7 and the first major championship of the year, so we thought it would be fun to share our most memorable Masters moments. These are mine — we'd love to hear yours.

1. 1986 - Seve, my all-time hero, taking charge of the tournament on Sunday, striping a perfect drive down 15 and then, as the roars rang out from Jack Nicklaus holing yet another putt up ahead, inexplicably dumping his 4 iron into the water guarding the green. Jack continued on his tear and won a sixth Green Jacket in what many consider to be the greatest Masters performance ever. Seve unravelled and missed out on a third Green Jacket, as he would a year later, losing in a playoff to Mize. It hurt to watch my hero so wounded (he was desperate to win in memory of his father, who had died shortly before the tournament), and I still think four Masters titles would have been a more fitting reflection of Seve's long love affair with Augusta.

2. 1996 - Faldo v Norman in the last round. The first Open I ever covered was in 1990 at St Andrews. Faldo and Norman were tied for the lead after two rounds and played together on the Saturday. Norman was world number one at the time, Faldo was the Masters champion and without doubt the best player in the world. I walked the whole 18 and watched Faldo destroy his rival on day 3 - shooting 67 to Norman's 76 - before going on to win the Open at a canter. I wonder how much that was in Norman's head on that Sunday at Augusta in '96. Faldo played brilliantly for another 67, Norman slumped to a 78. A six-shot overnight lead ended up as a five-shot deficit. It was painful to watch Norman but Faldo's ability to pull off shots that exerted pressure when it counted make it, to my mind, one of the great Masters rounds.

3. 2005 - Tiger on 16. It's hard to pick one moment from Tiger's extraordinary record at the Masters but for sheer audacity and proof, if it was needed, of his uncanny ability to bend events to his will, the chip in from a seemingly impossible spot short and left of 16 takes the honours for me. He even managed to ensure that his sponsor's logo was the last thing to linger on the screen before his ball toppled into the hole, which was a classy touch! Surely a shot worthy of Clippd's 200 Club!
    Dan Davies
    Clippd
  • 27 Replies

Community Manager
    That's three very strong choices. Norman's downfall is still synonymous with sporting collapses nearly 30 years on.

After some thinking my three moments are

1. Tiger winning in 2019. Anyone who knows me understands what an idol Tiger was for me growing up and to see him win the Green Jacket for a 5th time after all the substantial injury problems was probably my favourite sporting moment ever. Not to mention the scenes of him being met by his family at the back of the 18th and the similarities they have with his first win back in '97 embracing his father.

2. Bubba Watson from the pine straw. When it comes to specific shots at the Masters there's 3 that I vividly remember but Bubba's 144 yard, 52 degree from the pine straw on the 10th during the second playoff hole against Louis Oosthuizen in 2012 is the one I've gone with. 44 yards of curve to 10ft from that lie, in that moment. Ridiculous.

3. Zach Johnson 13th tee 2019. Slightly off piste but who could forget ZJ hitting his ball with a practice swing (something he's done again recently!) on the 13th fee followed by him verbally expressing his shock was pure comedy gold. Imagine doing that in that moment!
    Last edited by Josh; 21-03-22 at 16:01.
    @Josh what were the other two shots that stick out for you?
    Community Manager
    @Josh what were the other two shots that stick out for you?

They would be Tigers chip as you mentioned and Phil's ludicrously good 4 iron from the pine straw on 13 in 2010 which I think in many ways sums up his entire career in one shot.
    Level 4
    1. 2017 - Sergio Garcia. Making a birdie down 18 in the playoff against Justin Rose and his sensational eagle on 15 to get there. Thought he might be one of those that never quite win their 'deserved major' but he got there in style. The fact he named his daughter Azalea is the cherry on top for me.

2. 2020 - Dustin Johnson. It was a completely different Masters to what we normally see. Played in November without spectators but it was a highlight in what was a somewhat sombre year. Well deserved 2nd major for one of the greatest to have played the game, beating the scoring record in the process.

3. 2016 - Danny Willet. The runner up is probably more remembered than the victor for his infamous collapse. If there is ever a horse for a course, Jordan Spieth at Augusta gets the heart racing but in 2016 he suffered one of the all time great collapses, dropping 6 shots over 10,11,12 including a quad on 12, which allowed Willet to snatch the title.
    Level 3
    1. 2019 - Tiger's tee shot on the 12th in the final round before going on to claim his 5th green jacket. Having seen 4 of his nearest challengers hit almost identical tee shots, aiming at the far right flag, falling short of the target and rolling down the bank back in to Rae's Creek, Tiger took the sensible option (just ask Jack) of aiming over the front bunker to find the middle of the green. If ever you needed a reminder of his class, poise and clarity of thought under intense pressure, this was it.

2. 2013 - Adam Scott's 15ft putt in the playoff to win his first major. It was a memorable moment seeing one of the 'good guys' in the game finally get over the line. To do it less than 12 months after his slow and painful collapse over the final five holes at the 2012 Open was impressive. He also became the first Aussie to win the Masters in the process (might we see Cam Smith add to this list in 2 weeks time?)

3. 2012 - Louis Oosthuizen's albatross on the 2nd hole. With the pin tucked away in its customary Sunday back-right position, Louis drilled a 4-iron from over 250 yards out, that found the front of the putting surface and rolled the entire width of the green to find the hole for a 2 on the Par 5. An unbelievable shot and Masters memory that was worthy of claiming the green jacket - Bubba however had other ideas.
    Community Manager
    1. 2019 - Tiger's tee shot on the 12th in the final round before going on to claim his 5th green jacket. Having seen 4 of his nearest challengers hit almost identical tee shots, aiming at the far right flag, falling short of the target and rolling down the bank back in to Rae's Creek, Tiger took the sensible option (just ask Jack) of aiming over the front bunker to find the middle of the green. If ever you needed a reminder of his class, poise and clarity of thought under intense pressure, this was it.

2. 2013 - Adam Scott's 15ft putt in the playoff to win his first major. It was a memorable moment seeing one of the 'good guys' in the game finally get over the line. To do it less than 12 months after his slow and painful collapse over the final five holes at the 2012 Open was impressive. He also became the first Aussie to win the Masters in the process (might we see Cam Smith add to this list in 2 weeks time?)

3. 2012 - Louis Oosthuizen's albatross on the 2nd hole. With the pin tucked away in its customary Sunday back-right position, Louis drilled a 4-iron from over 250 yards out, that found the front of the putting surface and rolled the entire width of the green to find the hole for a 2 on the Par 5. An unbelievable shot and Masters memory that was worthy of claiming the green jacket - Bubba however had other ideas.

Very nice choices there! The 2nd hole and that front right pin produces great anticipation as soon as you see that a player has caught that ridge running through the green!
    Level 6
    @Dan
    I would have to say when Tiger won which was epic. When one of my students went for Drive, Chip and Putt and when Jack won at age 46. My close 4th was the year I was going and we as a family decided to stop at the Masters and then head to North Carolina. My truck broke down and I was stuck in Virginia for the days I was to go. Too bad I have never returned...perhaps 2023!!
    Brian Jacobs, PGA
    Lead Instructor, GOLF Academy
    Callaway Golf Professional Staff
    @brianjacobsgolf I hope you got rid of that truck, Brian! How fantastic to have had a student to qualify for Drive, Chip, Putt. Thanks for sharing
    Level 6
    I did!! and it was! She is an awesome player! Heading to James Madison to play.