Why it pays to be specific with your practice

Level 4
    Over the past few months I’ve been working with several players remotely. This is due to the fact I am based in the UK and they have been competing across the globe. Thanks to technology, it's far easier now to work as a golf coach without the necessity for travel.

With high-performance players, we work tirelessly on finding ways to consistently lower scores, improve earnings and ultimately rise up the world rankings in order to qualify for bigger money events and, ultimately, majors.

Name:  PhotobyChristophKeilonUnsplash.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  229.5 KB

With regular statistical analysis each player's game can be evaluated in-depth. We do this not only to be able to see where gains can be made but also to formulate specificity in their practice to ensure the player is enhancing the skills needed for the different types of courses they play each week.

For most club players, they are playing the same courses most weeks. Few keep statistics and very few spend time with their coaches discussing what the stats are telling them, yet they still want to lower their scores. Statistics don’t tell the whole story, but they do create opportunities to explore a player's game and have meaningful conversations, which in turn give the player and coach a better understanding of how to improve and lower scores.

I have the luxury of working at a very busy 27-hole facility that has a large range and short game area. When I observe golfers practicing, I can't help but wonder how productive their practice is for lowering their scores. Of course, hitting the ball better and more consistently will help but it's not just swing improvements that make a difference. In fact, I'd say at times it doesn’t help their play that much at all.

What I see is players practicing with the same clubs each session – a few wedges to warm up, and then a large percentage of the balls hit with a 6 or 7-iron and finally a few long irons and then the driver. If players were to keep statistics and log which club was used and when, they’d start painting a picture of what the course demands of their games and therefore be able to structure their practice based on sound evidence.

"Specificity in practice is the key in my opinion. We should be looking
    into what is going to have the biggest impact on reducing our scores"

For example, 10-handicap players will probably average no more than 5 to 7 Greens In Regulation per round, which would suggest a large percentage of their game during a round takes place within 50 yards, in and around the greens. And yet what I see is hours upon hours spent on the range and a very minimal amount of time on the short game area.

Of course practicing to hit more greens will be advantageous too but it does beg the question: could they utilise their practice time better? Other than the putter, the most used club per round is, in most cases, the driver, so allocating the high percentage of practice time with the driver seems justified. But what area is next? I’d hazard a guess that for the large proportion of club golfers the short game is second in line.

Specificity in practice is the key in my opinion. Players should know what they’re going to the range to achieve rather than just whacking balls aimlessly. If you’re there to do some technical practice, great – do that! But if we are aiming to lower scores and develop our game, then surely, we should be looking into what is going to have the biggest impact on reducing our scores.

Statistical analysis allows us to gain an in-depth understanding of what’s key and what needs work. From there we can dedicate time to the right parts of the game to maintain and develop. The stats or data can also help us understand the areas that we need help from our coaches with.

The courses you’re going to play should also have some influence on your preparation and practice. Long or short, open or tight, links or heathland – the list goes on! What the course is going to demand of your game should inform what and how you practice in the build-up to tournament play. I use google earth to look at a course in advance. I also look at the weather forecasts and current ground conditions to build a more comprehensive plan for my preparation.

Collecting stats and not using them to the full potential doesn’t make sense to me. The information is there to use, so we should use it to achieve our ultimate goal, which is to lower scores. Using Clippd, it took me less than two minutes to show a player what area of his game needs a little improvement to lower scores and from there we formulated a technical and practice plan.

Players will do technical practice but more importantly there will be performance practice, which is measured, targeted and logged so we can see if improvements are being made. If you know you’re improving in practice it is far easier to take that confidence on to the course and improve in tournaments. We need to see improvements to enhance confidence, and if we’re not collecting practice data how can we be sure that the improvement is there?
  • 7 Replies

Level 6
    Awesome content and agree in regards to collecting data to reach an ultimate goal. I had a new student assessment yesterday and asked the player of they had ever tracked data such as GIR, PPR, Scrambling and FIR and the answer was no but they want to be their best. How can we coach what we don't know? How can a player be their best if they are just guessing on what to do?
    Brian Jacobs, PGA
    Lead Instructor, GOLF Academy
    Callaway Golf Professional Staff
    Community Manager
    @brianjacobsgolf @motleygolf

Have there been times in the past for you both where you feel a player has come to you and told you an area that they'd like to improve and you have been able to clearly see that it's not the area that needs the work? How did you broach that subject with them?

I get the feeling that a lot of players (probably myself included!) have told their coach what they'd like to work on out of aspiration rather than realism! ie. more distance OTT rather than 50-75 yard wedge play.
    Level 6
    Absolutely. Students come often "predisposed" to an area they think is their greatest weakness and many times it is not..that is why we must assess. Truthfully if a person was so convicted of the weakness and they know what to do...I've asked "then why isn't it fixed? " Again the assessment is telling as is the data. We then KNOW and can plan the proper strategy to make changes. Coaching is a relationship for sure and the student is heard but end of the day I am being paid to make them their best so I have to be the one who is in charge.
    Community Manager
    @brianjacobsgolf Would it be fair to say that with the collection of data it's much easier to get that point across to players as you'd be quite easily able to prove/show to them the evidence?
    Level 4
    @Josh yes quite often.

quite often a player will use their last round as a measure of good and bad, which seems quite logical in some cases. However, when looking through statistics you often find it was just a outlier and not the norm.

Also for the players who don't collect statistics other than simple fairways, greens in reg and putting they only tell a small chapter of a rather long book and warps their sense of what needs work. for example a player hits 12 greens.... good right? has 36 putts ...not so good. They want to work on putting because they didn't hole much and had a few 3 putts. Reality was that the greens they missed were small misses, chipping was poor and most of the greens they hit had long to medium length putts, strokes gained putting on GIR was actually quite good but average length of putt on missed greens was 12ft.

now I'm not saying for one second putting couldn't be better, but to me chipping was a key area to explore improvements in and also it begs the question why did they have so many long range putts on GIR. As I've said before statistics for me create opportunities to have good conversations and gain clarity in a players game and focus areas and this was a good example of where a player only focused on one aspect that needed improvement, but after a conversation and deeper exploration of those basic stats we found more.
    Head of Community & Content
    @motleygolf great points Tom. Our aim is to surface the opportunities, insights and gains in order to take the knee-jerk out of the equation!
    Dan Davies
    Head of Community & Content
    Clippd
    Community Manager
    @motleygolf I'd imagine that when you then articulate that to a player, you may see a moment of realisation that their perception isn't necessarily accurate especially if you're then able to show them through the stats/data!

Is it easier to change the perception of top level, elite golfers or your weekend golfer?