What does success look like for you?

Level 4
    Bit of deep discussion point granted.

its been something I was asked within a reflection / review of my coaching business session and i just wondered if any of the fellow coaches on here would like to share or discuss how you you'd answer the question.

We all have different career asperations and come from very different backgrounds, so id suspect we'd all have differring things that.

• 9 Replies

Community Manager
    @motleygolf that's a fascinating discussion. Do coaches get it from seeing specific player progression, tournament wins or business growth?

I'd love to hear what others have to say!
    @steve.astle922 @derekhoopergolf @brianjacobsgolf @hugh.marr @nick.iacono @chrisfoleygolf @salmon19 @dan.whittaker
    Level 3
    There are different layers of success as a coach but to be successful all of them need to be meeting or exceeding my expectations. First, are players enjoying the game more and playing more golf. Are players that are being introduced to the game becoming active participants. Second, are players getting better and achieving their goals in the game. Third, is my business meeting/exceeding my financial goals to be able live the lifestyle that I desire. Finally, are my clients and the people I am surrounding myself with energizing me. Is the culture I am creating fulfilling.

If I am fulfilling all of these areas I am having success!
    Level 3
    @Josh I think this is such an interesting topic with so many layers to it.

Personal success for me will come when I feel like my name belongs amongst the the coaches you’ve tagged me with above. Which I know sounds awfully deep but this represents a level of confidence and understanding that I can work to achieve.

Professional success is much more measurable with my current bench mark for success being able to do what I love while maintaining a comfortable and balanced life.

I fully expect this to change but by having this comment to look back on I think will be very valuable.
    Level 6
    Josh I am on the same wave as Chris Foley @chrisfoleygolf He is a wonderful example of a true coaches perspective.
    We coach for the love of the game and we want our students to experience the same..every students goals are different when it comes to enjoyment..or a "win"..social players want to play well as much as elite but will they put in the work? Only they know.
    I also agree that we need to place culture over money or strategy. If we have a great culture the money cares for itself. I have never gone hungry or missed a mortgage payment so I must be doing okay as well my soul is filled with gratitude and joy as I teach and coach..in essence there are many forms of currency as a coach and teach.
    @salmon19 you belong! As you develop you will find the sweet spot of your business. What is most important is not being relevant on any list rather are you relevant among your students that you serve and care for? That is the true benchmark!
    Brian Jacobs, PGA
    Lead Instructor, GOLF Academy
    Callaway Golf Professional Staff
    Level 3
    @brianjacobsgolf that’s very kind, maybe a rephrase is in order my end, if I can add value to the industry and help players over a sustained period/ career that will be a sure sign of success, which is what I think all the experienced coach’s here have done.

So the long term impact is maybe more the mark of success I was trying to describe and something I attribute to this community!
    Head of Community & Content
    thanks @motleygolf I'd be fascinated to hear what others think
    Dan Davies
    Head of Community & Content
    Clippd
    Level 4
    I found this question hard to answer initially and I'm pretty sure the longer I mull it over the more I could add.

I set out in my career with the goal of being a coach on tour. However, basing my success on players progressions to the main tours and taking me to tour is ultimately out of my control. About 95% of my coaching is not with pro's and elite Am's, it’s with club golfers, juniors, and county teams. So it seems illogical for me to base what I deem as being successful on about 5% of the players I coach and on something that I cannot control fully myself. The focus on becoming a tour coach has without doubt fuelled my drive to seek knowledge, better myself as a coach year on year and played a huge part in who i am as a coach today, but, at times has also had a detrimental impact on my passion for coaching especially when players have moved on.

So for me in answer to the question "what does success look like to you" ?

On a player level.......Making sure the player is leaving in a better place than when they arrived.
    On a personal level ..... Keeping my passion towards coaching, learning and drive to improve people no matter what level of golfer
    On a career level ...... TBC