How can players better use off-course data?

Head of Community & Content
    Hi all, I hope you're all doing well. We're asking players in our Beta Group to share different approaches on using practice data. We hear time and again that tournament stats are what they're really interested in but as one coach here succinctly put in, 'if it's not meaningful, why practice it?'

It would be really interesting to hear different perspectives and use cases for how you successfully connect players with the data they generate on the lesson tee, in practice etc, and how this then changes how you work with them. Thanks in advance for your thoughts, they're always incredibly useful to us!

@hugh.marr @brianjacobsgolf @chrisfoleygolf @derekhoopergolf @jon.tattersall @daniel.gray @alex.clapp @chris_dennis478 @ian.godleman @jamesbrod @kenny.nairn
    Dan Davies
    Clippd
  • 8 Replies

Level 1
    Change the environment, change the data, right? I think it is important to use all data practice vs on course and see side by side similarities, differences and tendencies. Can then see based on these trends with practice schedules and how you work on the ability to hit certain shots. Establishing practice sessions vs. on course, even vs. tournament play are important when establishing where a player fails. In practice i've got a guy that doesnt miss an iron shot, fades it, on course sees nothing but a draw. Nothing changes conceptually for him other than what feels comfortable, so making him uncomfortable in practice is perfect to re create the on course data. Hope this helps
    Community Manager
    @alex.clapp How does that players practice react when you're trying to making him uncomfortable? I suppose the perfect scenario is that the difference between practice, on-course and off-course is almost seamless, would you agree?
    Level 1
    Yea you ideally want to create the same player emotions, when on course, range, etc. The player reacts how you would expect them to, negatively... Rely on playing feels, rather than what he si trying to work on with his swing.
    Level 6
    I find there are 3 levels to any coaching:
    1. Learning
    2. Skill Acquisition
    3. Skill Acquisition under pressure

2 and 3 are most deep in my experience and the athlete retains the most.
    This is done via random variable practice for example gaming (short game area, putting, full swing) and the golf course. I use the golf course every day I coach. In my way of thinking we need to "stop the block" all the time and create players. Data is key from both the games and the course as they are equally weighted. I try to impress as well we don't play numbers or data but they can absolutely assist us in identifying trends and patterns.
    Brian Jacobs, PGA
    Lead Instructor, GOLF Academy
    Callaway Golf Professional Staff
    Community Manager
    @brianjacobsgolf Interesting that you use the course every day in your coaching Brian. From my own personal experience as a student, that's the best place. I think that goes back to what @alex.clapp said in making someone uncomfortable and it helps to create the same player emotions.

In a session will you go from range to course, the other way round or is it completely dependant on what you're working on?

Also be interested to hear @salmon19 thoughts on this
    Level 3
    Some great points made in the earlier posts. I try to work students through levels of performance both in a coaching session and when they practice on their own. We then use that data as feedback for how well they have learned a particular skill and then how to adapt the drill to further challenge them.

An example of such a drill fir a player who slices their driver:
    - teach them how to curve the ball less
    - can the player hit 5 shots in a row into an pre designated, generous sized fairway
    - can the player hit 5 shots in a row into a smaller fairway
    - can the player hit 5 drives into a fairway with each shot separated by a pitch shot

This template can change depending on the player and where they are on their skill development journey. It also opens up conversations about transferring of skills, pre shot routine and mental processes.

I look forward to having players be able to track this type of practice in Clippd one day
    Derek Hooper, PGA
    Director of Instruction
    Royal Oaks CC, Houston, TX
    @derekhoopergolf Thank you Derek, it's so useful to hear these different perspectives. One thing that seems to be a recurring theme is how drills and data open up conversations. Presenting the data in a way that opens up those conversations between coach and player, or player with themselves, is what we're constantly looking to bring to the fore in Clippd. I'd be interested in roughly what percentage of those coach-player conversations currently start with looking at the stats/numbers? And how many of them are still based on what the player 'feels' is wrong?