Are players and coaches getting the most out of golf data?

Head of Community & Content
    In the build-up to launching this community, we've heard so many interesting perspectives on golf data – its applications, how coaches are using it, how players are too but some still not. As a sport, has golf only scratched the surface of what can be achieved with data analytics? We'd love to hear your views on this.
    Dan Davies
    Clippd
  • 31 Replies

Level 5
    A great topic to get going with Dan, thanks for posting.

As a sport I think we have a number of challenges here:
    No 1. Where do we start with data? We have an almost infinite amount of data points available but which ones matter?
    No 2. As an industry are we any good at analysing the data we have?
    No 3. Is the data we have accurate?
    No 4. If we are happy with the data and the analysis are we any good at using it to make players better?!

Answers on a post card please……
    Level 6
    @hugh.marr,
    Wonderful questions and so thought provoking.
    With my students I look at 4 data points in play: GIR, Putts per round, Scrambling percentages and FIR. To me these metrics give a good snapshot of what we need to maintain or improve. We measure these every round played. I will share as well that we are looking at FIR and distance of the drive too.

In my experience many teachers don't use data but coaches do. We need to drive our plans using data. In my way of thinking the data we have access to is accurate because no matter what we collect, technology is so advanced and if we can interpret and get it to our students in language they can understand then it is accurate.

Making a player any good is an interesting dynamic...The player in my experience travels a specific line to betterment or winning. This starts with inspiration (internal or external), then self discipline, then discovery (coach driven and/or self), then confidence, then competence, then mastery and then win. All along that line there are assessments that hopefully are authentic in nature from attitude to data and would be reviewed in a performance assessment with the student. Data can be such a great tool to show progression and regression as well as being able to anticipate and plan patterns for success. In my experience, we need to anticipate and plan not react and again, data (analytics) shows us patterns we move on and that we need to either create or maintain.

I hope this helps!!
    Last edited by Josh; 24-01-22 at 15:48.
    Brian Jacobs, PGA
    Lead Instructor, GOLF Academy
    Callaway Golf Professional Staff
    Level 5
    Simply put, if you can’t measure you can’t manage. I’d be interested to know why you chose these data points Brian?
    Level 2
    Hi @Dan,

Josh suggested I contribute my view. (A view)

Interpretation of data is really down to coach education and the level of player interaction, diligence and consistency in regards to collection. I look at data platforms in three ways:

1- Do they fit with the current industry?
    2- Are they designed to innovate and create a new language?
    3- Is it data or insight that we are trying to create?

In my opinion insight is the key. If data is left to interpretation is will always be down to the user to have an intelligent filter to extrapolate required actions.
    As a coach I would personally like AI to offer insight and allow my job to be the expert communicator that can create change and reduce performance/skill deficit, whilst appreciating and understanding historical best practice to identify optimum behavioural traits or cause/effect patterns.

Just my thoughts, not preaching 😂

best,
    Dan
    Last edited by Josh; 25-01-22 at 09:50.
    @frostgolfThanks Dan, really interesting points. Can I ask you to elaborate on point 1, about whether data platforms fit with the current industry? Interested in understanding how you see the industry changing and developing, specifically from the coach's perspective. In a chat I had with another coach recently, I asked how far off golf is from being a truly connected sport. I'd love to get your take on this, too.
    Level 2
    @Dan

I think you have to assess the industry first. What problem are you creating a solution for? How many coaches would the solution help? Is it more of a coach upgrade opportunity where education is key?

As a coach…

What is the requirement and which demographic is the data most applicable to? Is the platform designed to normalise the use of data deep into the majority of golfers as standard procedure, creating a paradigm shift away from emotional, reactive reflection, or is it tilted heavily to coaches that support and grow highly skilled players from which insights from data may lead to discovering the edge that makes the player jump out of the pack.
    Of course a platform can be many things and have interfaces or interpretations that work for a large spectrum of user. I like the idea of a platform identifying insight and offering a behind the scene elite performance service that supports both player and coach ensuring that the interface and organisation fits both with the users identity, encouraging regular usage to becoming a ritual or common behaviour.
    I think from a direct to consumer offer could also allow the golfer to gain insight without coach assistance. More and more golfers are becoming autonomous and self taught from more advance media, performance capture and resources available.

I think elite coaches will gravitate towards more complex in depth data as they are used to interpreting it. Whereas other coaches may need an on-boarding process or certification system to feel both immersed into the platform and a certain affiliation through certification.

Sorry about the War and Peace reply. Probably still didn’t answer your question. Should have gone into politics 😂😂
    Last edited by frostgolf; 25-01-22 at 16:21.
    Level 5
    I wish I hadn’t got this started! Let’s not get carried away here. Data in golf is here for one reason and one reason only…… to help coaches coach players better. All the data in the world is utterly useless if we can’t use it to identify where each and every player can improve. Any reference to “elite” coaches (whatever that means) needing more complex data is missing the point. As coaches we need the simplest solution to each and every player’s problems, I want to know where I can get the biggest win for the least effort with each player - appropriate use of data helps me identify this.
    Hi all. Adding to this thread is the first in what we're planning to build into a series of articles with the coaches in this network. @harvey.hillary enjoyed Olympic success in his role as Head of High Performance & Innovation with the British Sailing Team, and now works with a group of leading British amateur golfers and tournament pros. In his article, he looks at how the data-led approach adopted by other sports presents a real opportunity for golf, and outlines ways to overcome barriers to adoption. Thanks Harvey, it's a really thought-provoking piece, as I hope you'll all agree.
    Level 1
    @hugh.marr
    Great conversation around the noise Data can create.
    I believe every coach should have their own philosophy of 'what it takes to win' and that they should be able to identify the critical data metrics that evidence current level vs WITTW (what it takes to win). Taken a step further, I would identify key transitions in player development and then identify the critical metrics that support those transitions. The 'What it takes to Transition' question was a really big test for the Data scientists to help us focus athletes in the areas that would make the biggest difference to performance and not just the areas they wanted to work on. Data must not add complexity or noise to the system. It needs to direct attention and provide objectivity to support the art of coaching.